Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Power of Love

It’s amazing how love can change you.

When I was a kid, I remember moments when my parents were happy ... truly happy.
And … I remember moments when happiness was far away … far, far away.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized the ‘genetics’ or the ‘DNA’ that I’ve been given, and I’ve learned those good ‘genes’ and the not so good ‘genes'.

I believe my parents did the best they could … they loved us and they tried to love each other.

I don’t blame ANY of my behaviors, choices, or actions on my youth, or my parents … however, I do recognize, from my youth, those things that I saw, those moments where life was all but a happy ‘American Dream’ … I saw in my parents relationship, what I didn’t want to become in those moments… I realized what I wanted to avoid when I met the person I would spend the rest of my life with.

When I met my husband … I thought the love he had for me and the love I had for him could help make me become the person that I always knew I could be … however, it wasn’t that easy when we said ‘I Do’ … I had to confront the very things I never wanted to admit were a part of me.

But … the amazing thing is … although life hasn’t been peaches and cream, and there have been many ups and downs, HIS love has changed me … it has made me a better person … it has helped me become that person that I wanted to be so long ago … sure, I’m still a work in progress, but aren’t we all?

Through the LOVE of my husband … I have learned and continue to learn how much God loves me … He gave me a man who not only loves me in the good times, but also in the not so good times.

As we prepare to celebrate 10 years of marriage tomorrow, I'm reminded of how good God is and how blessed I am to have a man that loves me, unconditionally, wholly, deeply, passionately, whole-heartedly.

So, in the midst of a world ‘falling out of love’ … realize that love … can forever change you, if you truly let it.

P.S. Of course I didn't take this picture - but this is my favorite of our wedding photos the day we said I do. I had to include a photo, of course! ;) What a wonderful day that was - and life together just keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment