Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Passion

I used to write. A lot. It was one of those things that when I woke up in the morning, I thought about. When I went to bed at night, I would dream of writing. One of my goals, when I was in college was to write a book before I turned 30. I sure did have high hopes. I sure thought I would make it. Well, 30 came and went. I'm going on 32 now. I think back, to those years leading up to 30 - I always thought I'd make it. When I turned 29, I told myself, 'this is the year'. Well, needless to say - I let LIFE get in the way - I didn't put aside the time to make the 'dream' happen. I only blame myself.

If I'm being honest, I'd have to admit that writing was and still is my first passion. It makes me feel ALIVE and with words, I can express myself in a way that people, for the most part, understand. After I had my baby boy however, I've found that the words don't come out like they used to - my thoughts are a bit more jumbled and unclear. I find it hard sometimes to come up with the RIGHT thing to say. Not sure WHY this has happened - but I've realized that any passion - any dream - you've got to work EXTRA hard to make it a reality. And while I love to write - photography has become one of those things that I desire so strongly to 'make work'. It's a goal to become a full-time photographer in the next 10 years - and I'll tell you - as daunting as that sounds {the fact it will be 10 years}, I'm not going to fail at this, like I did with writing.

Passion is a funny thing. It moves you to ACT. It moves you to DREAM. It moves you to CHASE after the very things that sometimes, hold you back. While I'll admit, after having my son, my words don't come out so easily anymore - he ignited the passion inside of me, once again - to CHASE and FIGHT hard for the things I know I was meant for. He has made me a better woman, a better wife, sister, daughter, friend, and goal setter. I won't fail - and while I'm positive I'll make a few mistakes along the way - those mistakes will simply be stepping stones.

I love the idea that success is making your passion into something you can do daily. Whether it's writing, photography, painting, drawing, being a mom, making music - it's what you find JOY and FULFILLMENT in - and whatever it may be - it's doing it EVERYDAY, with passion and optimism.

I love this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: "To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

Success and Passion go hand in hand - do what you do because you want to - not because you have to. Be successful in those things that you're passionate about - because at the end of the day - YOU are the only one that is responsible for the choices you make. LIVE and BREATHE in every moment - LOVE what you do - and find that 'thing' that helps you become passionate about the days ahead.

Eli and his ukelele. Love.This.Kid.

His cutie pie face. :) He makes me SING with smiles.

Uh-OH! Already walking. Falling down. And getting right back up. :)

Beautiful, silly, sweet, funny boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment