Monday, April 11, 2011

The Road Less Traveled

I remember, when I was a little girl, I often thought about the GREAT things that I wanted to do. For so long in my youth, I wanted to GET OUT of South Bend; I always thought that this place had nothing for me. I wanted to move to a BIG CITY somewhere, anywhere - any place but here.

However, as I grew up, got married, finished college, became a parent, and began my pursuit for these ‘GREAT’ things, the focus has shifted along the way. The ‘GREAT’ has taken on a new form – I am reminded that sometimes, the little things are what matter most. Sure, being in the spotlight might be appealing to many, because really, we just want someone to notice; notice what we do and NOT take it for granted.

But deep down, I think we all want to have made an impact on someone – to say someone else’s life is better because we took the time to LOVE them – to appreciate them – to help them see the best in themselves, even when sometimes they don't see the best in themselves!

I believe that no matter where we're at – whether in a BIG CITY, in a small town, or in South Bend – LOVING someone is the key to being 'GREAT', even when sometimes, you're the ONLY one who knows it.

The following is Robert Frost’s poem, ‘The Road Not Taken’; maybe you’ve read it, maybe not, but I must say, the words are poignant and give the sense that the ‘road less traveled’ does indeed, ‘make all the difference’. Believe in miracles ... and follow your dreams.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment